Making Friends (Open to All)

RarityDash

((this RP is open to anypony who may want to participate.))

"It's a nice day. A young'un like you should be out playing with friends, not cooped up in here all day!" he had said and then shooed her out the door. Spirit didn't understand. Play? It was a verb meaning to engage in activity for fun and recreation rather than a serious or practical purpose. It sounded so completely pointless. Her wise caretaker's advice was usually flawless. He had taught her so much. He gave her books to read. Why would he suggest something so meaningless? It confused the young filly.

Fun? Fun was learning. Fun was being with her mentor. Fun was having dreams. There was no fun to be had on the streets of Flillydelphia. She thought that as she looked around while walking. Many ponies passed her by each instant. They didn't seem real to her. She was a pony just like them, right? Then why did they feel so alien...? Why did they feel like they were from an entirely different world?

Spirit wandered the streets aimlessly, feeling almost in a daze. In a lot of ways this city was scarier than the forest. She had lived most her life in the forest. She understood how the forest operated. There, she knew what wanted to eat her and what she wanted to eat. There, she knew where best to hide. She didn't know nearly enough about this place. She hated not understanding something. It terrified her.

Friends? Spirit looked around again. What had he been getting at? She didn't have any friends. It was another concept that was just so foreign to her. This whole thing was silly. She hated being outside in the first place, in this world she didn't understand. Shaking her head, she turned around. She hated disappointing him, but this was something she just couldn't do. She hung her head low and began to walk slowly back home.

Dahlia trotted into town, her saddlebags laden with paper, paints and pencils. Mr. and Mrs.Bud's flower shop was sporting some new blossoms this morning and Dahlia just couldn't wait to sketch them. She took the path she took every morning, nodding shyly to the usual ponies that crossed her path as her steps quickened. Dahlia was no an antisocial pony, she just preferred the company of her flowers than the stress of having to actually strike up a conversation.

Rising her head from its typical lowered position, Dahlia took in Fillydelphia's town square. This is the town she grew up in, found her purpose and continued to live in. It just so happened to also be the town she wished to one day leave. Her hearts became almost as heavy as her saddlebags at the thought. Could she really leave this sweet little town? To move would mean she would have to learn a new array of pony names. And if that wasn't enough to make Dahlia shy away from her big dreams, the thought of having to meet very influential and important ponies made her dizzy. But it would all be worth it to her. If she could only take a few sketches to an art collector, then she would be a great art pony. Dahlia sighed, leaving her dreams for later that night.

In her small cloud of anguish, Dahlia noticed another seemingly uncomfortable pony. Seeing the little filly pulled at her heart strings. Dahlia took in a deep breath and held it for a moment. This could be good practice for her; walking up to a random pony and talking to them. If she could accomplish that here, she could to it in a place like Canterlot. Dahlia trotted up to the strange filly, her knees shaking slightly as she thought of what to say.

Hello there. You seem a bit troubled."It wasn't exactly conversational gold, but at least it was a start for Dahlia.

((Nice. I think I'll start a Rockwington RP for our remaining characters now.))

Spirit let out an eep at the sound of a voice suddenly in her proximity. She darted ahead a short distance, looking for a place to hide, but she could find nothing adequate. Slowly she turned her head back to investigate, shaking in terror as she did.

It was pony. An unknown pony. Spirit continued to shake as she looked at her. She was older than Spirit by a few years. She looked a little scared too for some reason. This made Spirit being to wonder. What did this pony want from her? Shaking, Spirit took a step back toward her.

"Umm... I-I..." Spirit stuttered as she looked at the other pony. She averted her eyes slowly and trailed off, not really sure what to say.

[[Glad I passed the inspection lol. That sounds good.]]

Dahlia's heart sunk a little further as she watched the filly dart away from her. She opened and shut her mouth a few times, unsure if her voice would scare her again. "Please don't hide," she whispered, a little relieved to see that the filly was just as nervous as she was. She thought for a moment about wither or not it would be better to leave her alone and go on with her usual day. No. She was going to do this. She was going to talk to this filly no matter how nervous she was.

"I um saw that you looked unhappy. I was just wondering what had you so blue." Dahlia tried to smile even though she was shaking in her hooves. She took another deep breath, trying to steady herself. It was a slow start but still a start. What if she doesn't want to talk to me? What if they think I'm strange? Insecurities started to build in Dahlia, her resolve and confidence starting to fade. "I just don't like to see anyone unhappy." She tried not to panic, slowly making excuses as to why she was even talking to another pony. If only she was a flower, then Dahlia wouldn't have a problem talking to her. She had tried before to imagine that other ponies where flowers, the advice of an older pony, but it never seemed to do the trick.

Spirit listened to the pony's words. She really did seem almost as terrified as she did...

"I... uh... see..." said Spirit, trembling. "I... well..."

Spirit looked down. She just wasn't good at talking to other ponies. She didn't know how to express herself. The pony seemed to want to know what was troubling her. Spirit really didn't know how to say it. She was troubled because she couldn't fulfill her mentor's request of her. She couldn't "go out and play with friends" like he had said. She couldn't do this, because she didn't have any friends. She didn't have and friends because she didn't know how to make friends. Was that what she said in this case, then? She didn't know, but it was worth a shot. Maybe then this pony would go away. Spirit stiffened up and stepped forward.

"I don't know how to make friends," said Spirit simply while looking at the other.

She tried not to seem too eager as the little pony trembled. Oh how Dahlia wished she had the courage to give her a hug or try some other way to comfort her. But alas, she couldn't even comfort herself let alone a strange new pony. She wished so much she could just run away to the flower shop and hide among the hundreds upon hundreds of petals. What then would the pony think of her. You'll never make friends if you don't talk to people. Think of the paintings.She tried to give herself a small pep talk in her head, but that wasn't turning out so well.

Dahlia smiled softly, lowering her head back down. "I'm with you on that one. I don't know how to make friends with anyone but flowers." That was a good thing to say wasn't it? It was putting the two ponies on the same level. Maybe Dahlia was getting better at talking to strange ponies. It would only be so long now before she was attending private art parties in Canterlot. "Maybe we could help each other?"

"Help?" Spirit tilted her head, not understanding. The pony's words in general served to confuse her. How does a pony have a flower as a friend? Their biological makeup is far too different... There would be no way to communicate, and even if there were, they're concerns would be far too different for there to be any sort of connection. Besides, flowers could be scary. Spirit remembered that far too well from her time in the Everfree Forest...

"How can you help me if you just said you don't know how either?" Spirit asked in a very soft voice.

Dahlia's ears went back, her confidence completely shattered. "Well I uh thought that um maybe we could learn from each other. You know, maybe we can learn to talk and everything with each other. And then maybe it would be easier for us to talk to other ponies and make friends." She crossed her front legs nervously instantly regretting the decision to try to make a new friend. She should have just walked straight to the shop and start painting. "But it was a silly idea." Dahlia would definitely be telling her flowers about this failed attempt at making actual pony friends.

((heh... these two are great. So awkward but in completely different ways...))

Spirit didn't quite understand this pony's logic. Her words just further confused Spirit, but they left her curious.

"Why is it silly?" asked Spirit, tilting her head once more. She didn't see anything absurd or foolish in a suggestion like this. She didn't understand it, but nothing in it seemed "silly". Her comment about being friends with flowers seemed a far sillier thing than this suggestion. She wasn't sure what she could get from continuing to talk to this pony, but maybe it would be somehow to her advantage.

[[That's what I was thinking XD]]

Dahlia abandoned her babbling, feeling as if her head was spinning. "But you just said.." She was close to just giving up and trotting to the flower shop. Wait. Maybe she could use the flower shop to her advantage. "If you'd like to try it I'm sure we could learn from each other." She shuffled her saddlebags slightly. "I'm actually going to the flower shop to sketch up the new buds. You're more than welcome to join me if you like" Friends visit each other and work all the time...don't they? Dahlia was sure Mr. and Mrs. Bud wouldn't mind her having a friend in the shop with her. Dahlia turned back towards her path without her eyes leaving the new pony. "Do you um mind if I have your name? I'm Dahlia blossom"

"My name is Spirit Flame," said Spirit proudly. Her mentor had given her her name. She really treasured it. For most of her life she hadn't had one.

She considered the rest of the pony's words then. Sketch? That meant this pony liked to draw pictures. Spirit appreciated the art she saw in books. She hadn't ever seen much in person. It sounded kind of... fun. She was still a little confused, but she was really curious.

"And... um... okay... that sounds good..." she said with a very subtle nod.

Dahlia loved the name. Spirit Flame. She had to admit to herself that she was a little bit jealous. With a name like Dahlia Blossom, she would always be seen as a small town pony. Dahlia pushed the thought aside. She was making a friend!

"It is a lovely name."

Dahlia began trotting down her daily trail, now a new friend in tow. "I can't wait to show you all my little flowers. I really hope you like them."But what if she didn't like them? The thought terrified Dahlia. But who would hate flowers? She has never met a pony that didn't love flowers, even the ones that had allergies. Dahlia was determined to make this new friendship the best she ever had. Which was completely possible seeing as she never had a friend. She was sure Spirit would love the flowers. Maybe she would even sketch her favorite for her as a nice present to a friend.

Spirit smiled at her name being compliment. She had to nod in agreement.

It was still a little hard for her to get excited about seeing flowers. She still associated flowers with the forest and the nightmares it had held for her. Spirit had learned a lot since then though. Books had taught her that certain flowers had certain special properties and uses. Not to mention, some were particularly tasty. Maybe this might be interesting to see after all? Spirit didn't really know. She was however beginning to feel more comfortable around this Dahlia Blossom.

"Okay," she said with a nod, ready to follow Dahlia.

Dahlia perked up a little as they started their way. Surely it would be easier to talk to her surrounded by her wonderful flowers. "The new blooms are supposed to be just wonderful" She hoped talking about their mini adventure would perk Spirit up a little bit, it was saddening for Dahlia to see to see the look on her face. She didn't look too enthusiastic about the entire trip but maybe she would change her mind once they got there.

The flower shop came into view rather quickly. It was a sweet little shop, ivy crawling up the sides while little specks of purple and blue flowers poked through the dark green sheet. "Well, this is it." Dahlia's heart instantly swelled up at the thought of sitting among the hundreds of flowers, the fragrance flooding her senses.

Spirit looked at the structure, overgrown with plant life. She didn't quite understand. What use were these flowers to the ponies who lived here? What's more, this seemed to be a shop... Why would ponies buy flowers? It didn't make a lot of sense to the young unicorn.

Spirit noticed some of the flowers were blue, which caused her to backup in fear that they might be something nasty like the Poison Joke she had encountered in the Forest. She calmed down just a little when she noticed they were shaped differently. Her mentor had had books on flora, but she hadn't gotten to them yet, and was thus unable to identify any of the flowers or plants she saw. Still, she couldn't be too sure.

"None of them are dangerous, are they?" she asked while looking away.

"Oh no no no. The only thing in the entire shop that may hurt you would be a thorn, but Mr. Bud deeps them trimmed down." Dahlia walked with a new skip in her step. The door to the shop opened with a delightful bell chime, Mrs. Bud immediately trotting up to the front.

"Oh hello Dahlia. Here to paint the new blossoms I hope?"Mrs. Bud brought her attention to the little filly at Dahlia's side. "And who might this be?"

Dahlia turned to Spirit, hoping she was starting to enjoy the shop even just a little bit. "This is my friend Spirit. I thought I would show her around the shop a little bit." Mrs.Bud gave them both a nod, returning to her roses behind the counter. Dahlia trotted ahead, venturing farther in the back of the shop.

The flower shop was bursting with flowers. Every surface was covered with various buds. Dahlia often imagined she was exploring an enchanted wood while walking through the shop. Hidden away in the back of the shop laid the new buds, small precious blossoms hidden away from curious hooves. Dahlia turned to Spirit, wondering if she had the same feeling looking at the flowers as she did. "These are the new little blossoms." She stared at the tiny blue roses, mentally counting the days until they were fully bloomed.

Spirit looked around the shop in awe. There were so many colors. She really didn't understand it but she had to say that it looked kind of... nice. She barely looked at the older mare who greeted them as she stared around the shop, trying to take it all in. Even in the forest she had never seen so many flowers in one place, especially so many different varieties.

She moved slowly toward where Dahlia lead. She looked at the little blue buds. They weren't like the other flowers, having not bloomed yet. Spirit wondered if once they did, they'd looks as nice as all the other flowers in the shop. It was kind of exciting thinking about it.

She smiled softly as she looked at them, but she couldn't think of anything to say.

[[i have desktop ponies and I am dying of cuteness]]

Dahlia smiled, her heart swelling with joy."Aren't they wonderful?" Oh how she couldn't wait for them to bloom; they would be the most beautiful flowers of all. She loved when they were able to have the little blue roses in the shop, they reminded her of how she found her calling.

Dahlia slipped off her saddlebags, pulling out a pad of paper out of one and fishing for charcoal in the other one. She settle back on her haunches, setting up the paper just so. "Once I finish up the sketch I can take you on a complete tour." She smiled widely at her new friend. Oh how she hoped she was enjoying herself. Maybe she would pick a favorite and Dahlia could draw it for her. She put charcoal to paper with that happy thought. Maybe it was a good idea to ask if she was alright after all.

((Desktop ponies? Sounds cute...))

Spirit nodded and spoke quietly, "That sounds nice..."

Spirit began to watch Dahlia draw with great interest. It was fascinating seeing the sketch come together, especially since Dahlia was so good at it. Spirit eyes watched the paper with amazement as the buds began to take shape on it.

[[i basically have Fluttershy, Luna and Gummy flying around and Bic Macintosh sleeping on my computer screen.]]

Dahlia smiled with a sigh; it was completed. Well the outline was at least. She would have to take the sketch back home with her that night and start painting a poster. She was thrilled to see a look of wonder on her friends face. Dahlia was taken back to the first time she ever saw the blue roses, how they touched her.

Carefully packed her sketch and supplies back into her saddlebags, hiding them behind a flowering bush nearby. "I'm happy to start the tour if you're ready." She looked to Spirit with excitement.