The Solaria Inquiries

when someone eats a half of a slice of pizza, how much spit should be on the rest of it?

Depends on how much they're really enjoying the pizza. A lot? Then probably a lot. Pizza science dictates that the amount of salivation and therefore the residual spittle is directly proportional to the sum of anticipation and eagerness that a pizza nommer experiences, measured with time of nomming in mind.

Which crystalline polyform of cocoa butter is ideal for properly tempering chocolate, and at what temperature does it break down? (I know the answer to this, I'm just testing you!)

Dark chocolate or Milk?

It can be either, because the cocoa solids don't really affect the cocoa butter.

Also yes: it's Form V and the temperature is 94 degrees F -- anything higher and the crystals melt and it has to be tempered the long way. Very good Aria!

Yes, Dessa! All my love!

You can follow directions or someone can teach you how to follow directions, but what if you make directions with nobody to follow? Then you're left with fundamental rules.

Recipes all follow rules. If you know what rules to play with, everything can change and you can make really awesome stuff -- or spot recipes that aren't good.

For example, if you see a recipe that calls for more than 1 1/2 tsp of baking powder OR 1/4 tsp of baking soda per cup of flour, it's overleavened and will not rise properly.